Hedge fund manager Brevan Howard is continuing to ramp up its crypto business, hiring Jump Capital partner Peter Johnson as a portfolio manager and Gemini Trust’s former head of security Cem Paya, according to a Bloomberg report.
- Brevan Howard is gearing up for direct investments in crypto and is forming a crypto-focused division called BH Digital.
- A spokesperson confirmed the hires but was unable to provide additional information.
- In September, the firm announced Colleen Sullivan, a co-founder and former CEO of CMT Digital, will lead its investments in crypto.
- The new crypto business so far has more than 30 employees and 12 portfolio managers, Bloomberg reported, citing a person familiar with the matter.
- In April, it was reported the European hedge fund was planning to allocate up to 1.5% of its main fund (worth $5.6 billion at the time) to direct exposure in cryptocurrency.
Read more: Brevan Howard Appoints Former CMT Digital CEO Colleen Sullivan to Lead Crypto Investments